Following this list of do’s and don’ts will keep your hair extensions in good quality for a longer period of time and keep the bonds from becoming uncomfortable.
Maintenance Dos & Dont’s
Hair extensions are an easy way to instantly add length and volume to your hair when you feel like a change but don’t want to wait for your own hair to grow. This is especially true for upcoming special occasions like holiday parties or weddings.
Gone are the days when hair extensions were obvious, or just for celebrities. Today they are more affordable and are fitted far better to your own hair color and style. From straight laced blondes to curly brunette extensions, they all however require the same amount of maintenance to keep them looking and feeling great.
- Braid your hair at bedtime – Braiding the hair helps prevent the extensions from getting tangled up and becoming uncomfortable. It keeps the strands smooth and prevents tension on your scalp. Remember throughout the day to separate your strands as well to avoid them getting tangled up.
- Conditioner – It is advised to condition the extensions regularly. However, avoid applying conditioner near the top of the extensions as this can affect the bonds.
- Treat it like your own hair – Extensions need the same care and attention that your own hair needs. Collect your hair in to a loose pony tail then brush, starting from the tips and work your way up to the roots.
- Use heat to style synthetic hair – If you use synthetic hair extensions, they are more likely to become damaged by heat when styling. It is best to avoid this technique or use natural, real human hair instead. These can be more expensive to purchase but they can last longer and look fantastic.
- Leave them un-styled – If you climb out of bed in a morning and stick your hair in to a pony tail then extensions may not be the one for you. Extensions work best if styled, even just straightening them a little to put them in a ponytail.
- Sleep with wet hair extensions – just like your own hair if you go to sleep with wet, or slightly damp, hair extensions you will end up with tough to brush hair in the morning. This will put pressure on the bonds and could ruin the quality of the strands.
Following this list of do’s and don’ts will keep your hair extensions in good quality for a longer period of time and keep the bonds from becoming uncomfortable. If you are considering getting hair extensions done, then contact Emily Wyant Hair Extension Specialist today to receive top quality service and new, voluminous hair you will love.